1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

2005 Corolla?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ultraviolet, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Offline

ultraviolet Guest

Message Count:
    2005 Corolla?

Anyone out there have an 05 Corolla yet? (NOT XRS 2ZZ)

I need to find out if the 05's 1ZZ are drive by wire (no throttle cable).

I do know that the 05 XR Matrix's are now drive by wire. I'm assuming the Corolla's and base Vibes would be too.

Because of this change, the TRD SC is no longer compatible!

If anyone knows, please post up.
  2. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    hope this helps

[IMG]

The new Corolla XRS will be powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder DOHC engine that produces 170 horsepower and 127 pounds of torque. The engine will deliver a broader and stronger mid-range torque than the previous versions of the 2ZZ engine. And, it will feature a VVTL-i variable valve timing and lift system that produces a supercharged-like rise in power from 6,000 to 7,800 RPM. The result is a compact sport sedan that blends sub-eight-second zero-to-sixty acceleration with exceptional throttle response throughout its broad power band.

does that meen the redline is 7,800? or am i am mistaken? The gt-s redline is 7k....
  3. Offline

ultraviolet Guest

Message Count:
    Thanks w1ngzer0, but that is a pic of the XRS with 2zz engine. Although it looks like it still has a throttle cable.

Need pics or info about the 05 1zz (CE, LE, S)
  4. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    I couldn't find any engine pictures for the 05 Corolla CE, LE, or S. Lots of exterior pictures though. I would go to the dealer and see if they have one and tell them you want to take a look at it.
  5. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
  6. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Ive never even heard of drive by wire? is it better?
  7. Offline

ultraviolet Guest

Message Count:
    I'm sure there are advantages from Toyota perspective. Cruise control would be just be controlled now by the ECU, plus it has something to do with the new vehicle stability control systems.

Its not better for anyone who wanted to add the TRD SC.
  8. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    So the newly tuned 2zz (Corolla XRS) can't handle the supercharger huh? The other model 05's (Corolla CE, LE, S) can? They have the 1zz like the 03/04?
  9. Offline

ultraviolet Guest

Message Count:
    The TRD SC is only for the 1zz engines on the 03-04's. If the 05 1zz Corollas are like the 05 1zz Matrix's with the redesigned throttle body and drive by wire, then the SC wont work on those.
  10. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    re we talking only the TRD blower? or will other S/C's not work? This drive by wire thing is pretty new to me.
  11. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    No way the 2zz's compression is way to high, even the corolla's compression would be concidered high for the app. But the boost is low, i would imagine
  12. Offline

ultraviolet Guest

Message Count:
    As far as I know, only TRD makes a SC for the Corolla/Matrix 1zz.

It runs a pretty low boost at about 7.5 boost.

I also dont think that anyone has made a SC for the 2zz. However, Stafford Fabrications has a low boost turbo for the 2zz Celicas and is making one for the 2zz Matrix/Vibe's.

I'm specifically talking about putting the TRD SC on the 05 1zz Corolla/Matrix.
  13. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    trial has a 2zz supercharger, but it's 7 grand
  14. Offline

js10coastr Guest

Message Count:
    If the matrix is throttle by wire, I would bet on the corolla having throttle by wire.

I drove a GTI a few weeks back with throttle and steer by wire. Throttle response was amazingly linear, but the steering lacked a lot of feedback. I'm still a fan of the mechanical linkages.

I'm sure that if it is by wire, TRD will have a fix so that you can supercharge the car.
  15. Offline

ultraviolet Guest

Message Count:
    I have contacted TRD by phone and by email. They were the ones who told me that the SC was not compatible with the 05's. They also said they had no plans to have it modified for the 05.

Actually, if the intake manifold hasnt changed between the 03-04's and 05's, then that means that the throttle body will still mate to the manifold properly. If that is true, seems like TRD would only have some ECU tweeking to do.

Just something to keep in mind. If your looking at an 05 and considering adding the SC, maybe better to get an 04 while their still on the lots.
  16. Offline

js10coastr Guest

Message Count:
    Who did you contact? Was it an engineer, customer serivce, or someone higher up?

The manifold and intake plumbing should all be the same. I don't think it's an issue of physical fittings, there's probably some electronics that need replacing and they don't have that figured out yet.

All in all, I don't see any huge roadblocks that would prevent you from supercharging an 05.
  17. Offline

ultraviolet Guest

Message Count:
    First I called TRD and talked with someone in sales. They said 'drive by wire', ECU changes, an NO it will not work. Thinking that the sales person may not know ass, I emailed technical help, and they said 'Toyota changed the design of the intake making the SC not compatible.'

I have pictures of the 05 Matrix engine compartment and throttle body. I am supposed to have someone emailing me pics of an 05 Corolloa engine compartment.

I have a Toyota parts guy looking up the partnumbers for the 04 and 05 intake manifold to see if they are the same number.

I'm not saying that it cant be supercharged if you choose to modify it yourself. I'm saying that from what TRD told me, they arent going to sell a bolt on kit like the 03-04's. Hopefully someone is wrong.