1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine 2000 celica gts burning oil...

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by trah50, May 22, 2015.

1. Offline

trah50 New Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2000 Celica GTS
    So I have a 2000 Toyota celica gts after market Pistons cams headers straight pipped 175k on the chasis not sure how many miles on the Pistons and cams. I bought it for 2g knowing it would have some problems. Anyways I was told by a guy that was driving next to me says hey it smells like your burning oil so I looked up some threads did some searching and in my shoes there is no smoke but it does smell like I am running rich. No loss in power car runs great but maybe I have some bad seals? Or some oil is dripping on my headers causing the smell I'm not due for another oil change until 178k or July any ideas would really help thank you!

Chris
  2. Offline

1nicetrd Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Could be a number of problems.

If you get a black build up on our bumper its burning.
    if you're running rich and it smells gasy might just need new o2 plugs or a new cat
    Also check all the exhaust gaskets for leaking too. it could be a normal thing just the gasses are escaping before they are going through the cat and out back
  3. Offline

slow_r0lla New Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2000 Toyota Corolla CE
    How do the gaskets on the engine look? No obvious leaks coming from anywhere? There is a common problem with the oil drain back holes on the pistons getting clogged but that would cause a very noticeable problems burning a couple quarts a week.
  4. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    He has a GTS which is the 2zz, and those don't burn oil to my knowledge. But if the car is straight piped as you say, and you're just taking the word of some guy on the street that your car is burning oil based on smell, remember that taking the cat out of a car will cause more smells and pollution. If you don't see any leaks, and your oil level is fine, then don't worry about it.
    slow_r0lla likes this.