1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

20 valve motor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toyotaspeed90, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    if you have blacktop.... forget it....

silvertop at least does have the earlier 16V crank and rods (i believe.... though, something tells me the 20V rods aren't quite as strong as the gze rods.....)

gze pistons wouldn't fit.... isn't clearance for the 5th valve.... if there is clearance, i'd be surprised and would expect only the earlier 8:1 pistons to work, not the later (more desireable) 8.9:1
  2. Offline

myst_knight21 New Member

Message Count:
    20 valve motor

Sup, I was wondering if any of u guys have seen any mods, for a 4a-ge 20 valve engine. Such as Pistons for turbo charging, or even some custom made headers.
  3. Offline

wukong Banned

Message Count:
    most of the time when i see ITB's done for any motor they are usually custom. For the KA24 they are custom for the 4ag i have only seen custom. At least i don't know of any company that makes them
  4. Offline

Capeside New Member

Message Count:
    Try contacting <a href="http://www.toysport.com" target="_blank">www.toysport.com</a>, because I know that they sell 20v's with forged turbo pistons, so maybe they will sell you just the pistons. I have never worked with them personally, so I don't know if their customer service is good or not. And also I read you can swap in 4AGZE pistons for a turbo set up but I don't know if that is only with 16v 4AGEs.
  5. Offline

killer2239 Lift at 5700rpm

Message Count:
    There is someone on here that is actually has the silvertop in his car. I think its 93-97 model, could be wrong. Im sure he will post and help ya out. I think he is building for turbo himself.
  6. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    does the 20V crank have the 42mm journals that the 7 rib 4ag's have? i've heard they're slightly smaller......

also, yeah 8.0:1 would be a bit better for higher boost, but i would still rather have the 8.9:1... still forged ceramic coated..... biggest issue you may get is knock....
  7. Offline

JDLangevin Guest

Message Count:
    They just need a flycut for the 5th valve, which normally would clear, but it's better to be safe. :) GZE pistons is what I would use.

Yasin is using them on his turbo blacktop (do you know Yasin?).

Also, which pistons are more desirable depends on what you're looking for... 8.0:1 will allow higher boost levels obviously.

BTW, GZE rods would be best, silvertop are still good, blacktop are a little too light and small...
  8. Offline

JDLangevin Guest

Message Count:
    It's been my understanding that the cranks are the same, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.
  9. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    ya know... i should have known that since i personally ordered a smallport bearing set and a couple crank seals for my friends ST rebuild.... however, this isn't the case for the blacktop...... they do use a smaller journal crank......