1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

$170 tint? Is it a fair price?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by darrenwang, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    $170 tint? Is it a fair price?

I went to Pro Tint in Temple City, California today.

For regular tint (the brand is Johnson or something), it's $119 for 5 piece. The sales person gave me $170 for Solar Guard Titanium (semi-mirrored tint) with life time warrenty. Is it a fair price? Or anyone know any good shop carry Solar Guard in So. Cal?

If so, I'll go tomorrow morning.
  2. Offline

ph0bi4 Guest

Message Count:
    the shop near my home town said they'll do mine for $120 during the christmas season. so im guessing normal price would be about $130 or so
  3. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    I did all the side windows myself with $40 worth of tint, and got a local shop to do the back for me on a trade. I wired up his pressure washer, and he did the tint. It worked out good for me, since it only took 1 hour to wire the pump in, and they wanted $100 to do JUST the back window for me. That was $100 CDN though, so it was around $70 US. SO all together I guess my tint is worth $110. I think $170 is reasonable, but MUCH higher than what I would actually pay.
  4. Offline

DaChozn Guest

Message Count:
    I know there is difference in prices from state to state but here in Miami, FL you can get the whole car (not including front) done for around $80 lifetime warranty. So personally I think the price is a little high.
  5. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    yeah 170 is a bit steep for tint, just shop around for a better price .....besides we live in LA im sure u can find another place to do it for much cheaper.
  6. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    OK, I did it in Culver City, $160 for Solar Gaurd 37%. I should have done with a darker tint. :(

[IMG][IMG]
  7. Offline

S.Fl.Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    i got lumar tint for $100 and a sound shop...look around your area some more...ask around and crap because i am sure there is a sound shop or a car shop or some kind that will do it for a bit cheaper than $170.
  8. Offline

Outside33 Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah i think 170 is a little to high ... i got mine for about 130 for 17% back and 25% in the front .. .. i live in the Riverside county area so .. i dont know how much of a difference it would be..
  9. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    Most of the tint shop I asked quoted me $100-$120 for regular film, and $160-$200 for brand film, such as LLumar, Solar Guard, 3M with life time warrenty.

Do those big brand film really have better quality? Or I only pay for the name?
  10. Offline

S.Fl.Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    it is def worth going for something like Lumar or Solar...the regular tint turns purple or green after a year or so....lumar gives u a life time warranty so if for some reason it does turn a shade of purple or something, u can replace it but it shouldnt
  11. Offline

istylez Guest

Message Count:
    dont trip too mucha bout your tint

i have 35% all around including my front. and when i first got it (and still sometimes now) i wish i would have gotten 20% all around cuz its not dark enough. but thats only during the day. at night, the car looks perfect.

i honestly dont want to deal w/ cops, so w/ 35% tint, was just perfect.

i think you're tint looks awesome.
  12. Offline

TRD-MX83 Guest

Message Count:
    I got all my windows tinted with Solar Gard for $120 OTD in Rowland Heights.
    6% rear 22% front.
  13. Offline

CorollaX Guest

Message Count:
    got my tints for only 140 in So Cal, it's that quad titanium tints too, so it doesn't fade with a life time warranteed so if it ever bubbles or fades, i can tell them to redo it for free
  14. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    Oh man I feel bad now. Where did you guys get that price in So. Cal? Please let me know asap. I might need to re-do the tint in the near future.
  15. Offline

lostboy New Member

Message Count:
    So i was wondering ... when you guys get your tints ... do they take out the whole window and tint it ... or do they tint it while the window is in tact?

The place i went to did not take out the window ... and i can see that my window doesn't roll up and down the same each time ... so sometimes i can see the untinted part of the window. The tint shop told me that my car uses 1 bracket for the window while almost every car other than toyota uses 2 brackets so that the window doesn't move like mines...

anyhow i thought pro tint on rosemead did it for 150
    i went to california tint ... on rosemead and valley near the laundry place ... it was about 135 i think ... solar guard