1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

01 corolla with nocking or puttering idk

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by Dreadon, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Offline

Dreadon Guest

Message Count:
    01 corolla with nocking or puttering idk

I need a little advice none of my cars are doing this except my corolla and ive never heard anyone i knows cars make this sound b4
    so when im driving i hear what i call a puttering sound its weird it happens when i let off the gas to slow down or try to keep a steady pace of the highway it putters almost likes its starving for fuel but it isnt. now this doesnt happen when it is cold but once it warms up it starts happeing. now idk if its the tranny cause that is starting to slip i think or if it the engine or both. i have 107k miles on it and need a little help it also does it when i drop it into neutral around 2k -3500 rpms then it stops but if i let off it does it.

just need some help maybe an easy fix but im betting it isnt im going to take to my mechanic next week so want some opinions on it i am uploading a video to youtube so you can hear the sound.
  2. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    It kind of sounds like a bad plug or maybe wires.
  3. Offline

Dreadon Guest

Message Count:
    i would hate to come to find out that it is a plug ive had nothing but bad luck with the plugs ive been getting
    here is my attempt to video it its the little sound you hear over the revin engine towards the end you can hear it
  4. Offline

Dreadon Guest

Message Count:
    i would hate to come to find out that it is a plug ive had nothing but bad luck with the plugs ive been getting
    here is my attempt to video it its the little sound you hear over the revin engine towards the end you can hear it

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UwATyW46Z9g&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UwATyW46Z9g&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
  5. Offline

marsupial Guest

Message Count:
    me to

i know what youre talking about my 98 is doing that to ive checked the plugs and there fine and all of the lines are to if you find out wwhat it is let me know man and about the plugs get some rapid fire ngk or denso and you shouldnt have problems out of youre plugs anymore
  6. Offline

xplicitcorolla99 Active Member

Message Count:

+1
  7. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    It can also be a leaky or cut pcv line. Check all your hoses.
  8. Offline

rx7rocket2005 Ultimate Part-Out King!

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    2013 Dodge Dart Rallye Turbo
    mine just started doing that!
    Added: Apr 22, 2011 11:55 PM
    dammit
  9. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    mine does that everyone once in a while. now im getting a rattling sound that sounds like the heat sheild, but its not. fml
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    i have taken my exhaust manifold shield off and have determined that the sound we are talking about is in relation to a faulty exhaust gasket the one connecting the engine block to the header! 10 bucks to replace a day in time to invest!
  11. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    Nice, well done. I'll do that later today.
  12. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    the video sounded pretty normal to me for a short intake. I would try cleaning your MAF sensor and perhaps switching back to the stock airbox. If the problem disappears there may be a problem with the intake. If not, move on...
  13. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    I think its an airflow sound that the motor makes when its breathing a certain amount of air.
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    check the donut gasket from the manifold to exhaust pipe i replaced mine gaskets the donut and the manifold one for 15 $ and 2 hours of work u should check that first
  15. Offline

CorollaGT Low & Slow

Message Count:
    Did you use a torque wrench? Or did you just tighten them all down willy nilly?
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    I have a torque. Wrench and the manual that tell u the torque specs
  17. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    My post new account , I ended up opening the top and bottom of the engine both were leaking oil so i replaced gaskets. and i found this lovely spectacle
    need opinions is it worth it to do a timing chain on this or replace whole engine to a newer one with no oil probs , it already has about 157,000 miles on it so
    i already changed the serpentine belt tensioner cuz that was freaken loud too, which in most cases is the noise on the 1zzfe.
    as well as the timing chain tensioner so that is brand new like 8k miles ago. so i know this has got to be at max tightness
  18. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    mine sounds like that sometimes, but a ecu reset (fancy word for, take out the battery and pray) and it's all perfect again...

but my reason was another one, mine was an idle air passage tweak I did (apparently the mechanic played a bit with it) cause I cleaned out the TB and was idling too high and sounded like shit, and clanky like that...
    I also did reseated the spark plugs and the MAP plug